Friday, June 20, 2008

Shopping and Cooking

The first trip yesterday to Filipino grocery stores was interesting and enlightening. As expected, some items were available in less variety than American stores, but unexpectedly there were other things in much greater supply and variety. One example of the latter was canned tuna fish. There were all different styles (packed in water, packed in oil, packed in brine) and also all kinds of flavors (regular, spicy, extra spicy, etc.) That was an eye-opening experience. I purchased a few items but didn't come with a list this first time out. I really just wanted to see what was available and where find it so that next time I can be a little more prepared. I also discovered something innovative compared to American grocery stores: refills! There are refills available of just about everything: ketchup, soap, shampoo, aluminum foil... This is so you don't have to buy a new glass bottle or paper or plastic container. I really like that.

One of the items I purchased was a small package of pancake batter, which I made up this morning with bananas. It was good with a glass of orange juice and a cup of instant coffee. Apparently pancakes taste the same no matter where you live in the world. :-) So I'm continuing to adjust. It'll take me a few more days or weeks before I'm fully comfortable, but I'm trusting in God and the people already here who have helped make the transition smooth.

1 comment:

Jason E. Vickers said...

Having fun reading your blog! It sounds like you are doing great.