Monday, June 23, 2008

Missionary Hazing

Hmm...I guess I forgot to post about my excursion last Saturday learning the ropes of the Manila public transit system. I was sent on an Amazing Race/Great Scavenger Hunt sort of thing. We each had a guide (Tagalog: kasama) who was supposed to remain silent and only help out if we got hopelessly lost. We first rode a jeepney to the large Catholic Church in Antipolo, then off on a tricycle (=motorbike with a semi-enclosed sidecar) over to an upscale grocery store. Then we got on another jeepney and went back to the Taytay public market (Tagalog: palenke ng Taytay--I think) where we were supposed to buy a couple specific pieces of fruit plus take a picture of the oddest thing we found for sale. For me, it had to be the pig's head. I might upload a picture of that eventually. Maybe. Last step was taking a g-liner (big air-conditioned bus) to one of the malls in the area. It was a fun exercise but I wound up carrying far too many things. ;-)

1 comment:

Coachm said...

This sounds like a fun time. Do post the picture you talked about. It would be interesting!