Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Airport II + Luggage Matters IV

Sitting in the gate area at the Taoyuan International Airport in Taipei. I was happy to learn (a) that Taiwan, or at least the airport, uses the same plugs as American appliances; and (b) that free wifi is available as it was not in Seattle. On (a), I have a plug converter so it would not pose a problem, but it's good not to have to figure out how to use that thing when I've been on a plane for 15 hours already. ;-) On (b), I think that free wifi is a very good thing, and I'm rather dismayed that SEA hasn't gotten it. Oh well, I guess if people can charge money for something they will. I have two hours and some change left before my flight on to Manila. The flight from Seattle arrived nearly an hour ahead of its scheduled time, which under normal circumstances would be great; but, since it makes for a longer layover, it is not so great. Come to think of it, that hour would have been spent either way, in the plane or in the airport. I'll change my mind; the extra hour in the airport is better because I can use the computer and surf the internet at the same time.

On luggage, my only problem with all of that--considering that it was an issue that weighed very hard on my mind--is that China Airlines made me check one of the carry-ons. I had thought the regs for China Airlines were the same as domestic airlines...one carry-on plus a smaller personal item. The gate agent indicated that I was ok with the computer in one of the bags, but I got stopped boarding the plane. Oh well, it doesn't make for an extra charge in checking three bags, so I don't have much to complain about. It would have been nice to be able to freshen up a bit here in Taipei, but I didn't take out the materials required for that out of the bag. I was sleepy and not thinking especially clearly. No big deal. More to come.

No comments: