Thursday, June 12, 2008

Luggage Matters

Flying on Horizon Air from Boise to Seattle--itty bitty plane.
Flying on China Airlines from Seattle to Taipei and then from Taipei to Manila--great big huge plane.
Issue: will the itty bitty plane allow me to take as much baggage as the great big huge plane? Well, according to Horizon Air website and the customer service dude I talked to on the phone last night, international passengers with Horizon Air tickets transferring to another airline follow the other airline's rules for luggage. Turns out it doesn't matter so much, since both allow me to take two pieces of checked luggage no heavier than 50 lbs. each, plus, essentially, two carry on items no heavier than 35 lbs. (I think this is a total).

So, then, now it's just a matter of packing the two pieces of checked luggage. I have this huge, heavy, ugly, hardshell black thing my dad used for international travel long before 9/11 made the weight and contents of luggage became things to which people actually had to pay real attention. I also have a huge, not-so-heavy, not-quite-as-ugly softshell foldover garment bag-type black thing that I've had since seminary. Turns out that I didn't bring a tremendous amount of stuff with me to Idaho, seeing as how I was able to put most of it in the shipment from Nashville, and even then I didn't make it all the way to the limits established for that.

The first one weighs 13 lbs. empty--leaving 37 lbs. of packable capacity--and I didn't bother to weigh the second one empty. But once we got everything packed up, we're guessing that the big ugly one weights 40-45 lbs., and the big, not-so-ugly one weighs about 30-35 lbs. We're going to make sure we weigh them properly before we leave Glenns Ferry to go to the Boise airport on Sunday, because we don't want to get into a situation where we have to repack and redistribute at the airport. I really, really don't want my unmentionables on display for all the world to see. ;-)

2 comments:

hstout said...

I don't know which is sadder...that you have to weigh your luggage...or that the luggage is ugly! LOL!! I am going to miss you big time my dear Sunday school mischief partner. Who ever will I spill my coffee on?! :)

Heather

Mitchel said...

There's always Dave...