Saturday, November 15, 2008

Hmmpf

I was really upset with myself yesterday.

I've spend most of the past week working (haha) from home, but I went into the office yesterday because I had some things to print and my printer is there and not here. I discovered on my arrival that one of my diplomas had a really nasty spot on it. I cannot tell definitively if it is a water mark, mildew, or if some critter has left me a...ahem...present. But anyway, I was really upset with myself, since although I have dodged a bullet for several months and not noticed any damage on my yet-to-be-framed diplomas, yesterday there was some. If I had gotten them framed like I should have, then this wouldn't have happened, so I complained bitterly to myself and, later, to my girlfriend. Now, a day later, it's something I can laugh about.

This is the story of my life, learning from errors of omission. Further lessons have come in some students being unhappy with their grades. It isn't as is I do not know what they are going to say when they come and talk to me. Many of the things I did wrong--and I did do some things wrong; I have no problem admitting that--have already been addressed, at least in my mind, and the changes will be implemented in the next semester. And, again, if the conversation is approached with the attitude of "How can I do better?" rather than "You sack of dirt, how could you give me a grade like that?" then I am more apt to listen and ofter advice, and even admit my own faults. Nobody's perfect. Especially not me.

No comments: