Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Prepositions, pre-positions

Wow...I feel ashamed, kinda. I looked over the blog archive and saw: 30 posts in June, 35 posts in July...and 11 posts in August. I've allowed myself to get behind, in my class preparation, in my language lessons, in my blog...well, I'll try to do better in the future. I'm not about to say that I'm having a hard time keeping everything going. After all, I am still engaging in my dream employment, putting to work the degree I spent so long trying to achieve. And I'm serving the church to boot...you just can't get any better than that.

Chapel sermon by one of my faculty colleagues this morning really made me think. She said, in part, "So much of our theology as we speak it in English depends upon and revolves around our prepositions." I'm not sure if that's an accurate quote, but it's close enough. Her essential point is when we come to the Cross, when we are at the Cross, when we are near the Cross, we realize that Jesus was not just on the Cross, but that he came through the Cross to save us.
Jesus, keep me near the Cross,
there a precious fountain,
Free to all, a healing stream
flows from Calv'ry's mountain!

Near the Cross, a trembling soul,
love and mercy found me;
there the Bright and Morning Star
sheds its beams around me.

Near the Cross! O Lamb of God,
bring its scenes before me;
help me walk from day to day
with its shadows o'er me.

Near the Cross I'll watch and wait,
helping, trusting ever,
Till I reach the golden strand,
just beyond the river.

In the Cross, in the Cross,
be my glory ever,
till my raptured soul shall find
rest beyond the river.
--Fannie J. Crosby (1869)

No comments: