Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Driving and the big box

Just came off my first experience driving in the Philippines. Actually, it was my first experience driving outside of North America. I've driven in Canada some (and of course extensively in the States), but nowhere else. I had lunch with the field strategy coordinator and his wife, and he handed me the keys to drive back to campus. It wasn't a long trip, and there wasn't much traffic this time, but it was good. When I got to Tikling Junction (=asphalt death trap), I just got into the left lane and followed a large flatbed truck through the intersection. We figured, correctly, that no one would challenge the truck for position. If I just hugged its bumper, then I would come through Tikling with no problem. And that is how it was.

Oh, and the other big news is that the big box is on its way across Manila right now (we think). It is supposed to be delivered sometime this afternoon, estimated around 4:00 PM (90 minutes from right now). This has the majority of my library plus a few household items that will make me feel more at home here. I am hesitant to see what it actually looks like, and a little worried about it. But God has controlled everything else, so why should I suspect that this would not work out as well?

No comments: